January 12, 2023

Two Men Die from Carbon Monoxide Poison

Two men where found dead on a five meter sport cruiser titled m/y Emma Louise poisoned by carbon monoxide, in Port Hamble on the night of January eleven.   The two men; 44 year old William Traynor and his brother Martin Stevenson where found unconscious in the covered cockpit of the sport cruiser the following twelve January morning at 10:30 hours.  The two men where reported travelling from there homes in Slough to spend two nights onboard on January ten.  Leaving the engine on in order to generate power, including of which was a portable radiator.  Unfortunately the engine also generated carbon monoxide build up, with marina staff finding the two men dead after the wife of William was not getting an reply to her repeated phone calls on that morning.  The engine of the boat was still running when the marina staff arrived on the scene.
Carbon Monoxide dead is not so uncommon as one might think with five persons reported dead in the same way in the last decade.  Carbon Monoxide is near to impossible to detect also because it is colourless, odourless, and tasteless, therefore boaters are advised to install a CO alarm and always leave a minimum of ventilation.
This sport cruiser is a mid nineties produced Fletcher 18 GTS.  This five meter sport cruiser offered a double berth forward and is powered by a single petrol gas engine with stern drive propulsion usually of about 150hp.

No comments:

Post a Comment